ninefangled

Awesome crap found on the web!!!

Friday, October 20, 2006

Plaque map! I mean "plague"

I wanted this to be so much cooler than it is. When I read this Wired article about a plague forecast, and then saw that it was a map, drool, I imagined this fantastic big heatmap all colored brightly for higher numbers of disease outbreaks, or I don't know. But I can't kick a map out of bed, no matter how hard I try, so behold: Healthmap, a Google-maps-hacked map that shows you where some disease outbreaks are. Unfortunately the resolution is down to the country. Being the USophile that I am (not really, but I guess I do live here), I wanted to see which states, or even counties, have outbreaks.

Not only do I love maps, I also love disease outbreaks. I loved that movie Outbreak, with Dustin Hoffman in an estranged marriage that you know is going to work out in the end, à la that movie with the water aliens, and EBOLA! The part of me that thinks life is just a book I am reading sort of wishes we would get a good plague. So I was hoping this map would literally show waves of disease advancing slowly towards us. I think I need to get back to work.

(By the way the thing I am actually linking to in this post is this.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home